Everything You Should Know About Braces And Invisalign
The pros and cons of Braces and Invisalign
Straightening your teeth in the 21st century leaves you with more options than the usual, traditional braces. The new kid on the block, which we are sure you have heard of, is Invisalign. Invisalign is a modern approach to discretely aligning your teeth. With the benefits of the two treatments being nearly the same, we find that patients generally find it difficult to make a choice.
To help you achieve a better smile, here are the pros and cons of Braces and Invisalign:
Braces are made of metal brackets that are bound to your teeth. It is a more traditional orthodontic treatment option used to align and correct misaligned teeth and bite.
Pros of braces:
· Braces are fixed to your teeth which helps if you are the forgettable type or someone with a busy schedule
· Braces straighten and corrects severe dental problems whereas Invisalign can be used to correct moderate problems
· Braces are a traditional, tried and trusted orthodontic treatment while Invisalign is fairly new to the market
· Braces are usually a cheaper option
· The treatment is less invasive than in previous years
· Braces can be customised with coloured rubber bands that are fitted onto the brackets
Cons of braces
· People who are conscious of their appearance may not like the visibility and noticeability of braces
· They are not removable
· The wire can break if you bite into something that is too hard. You would have to visit your orthodontist to have it replaced
· You have to clean your teeth after every meal as food tends to get stuck in the brackets
· Patients with pre-existing dental problems like severe gum infections or weak teeth, may not be eligible for braces
Invisalign is a modern orthodontic device used to straighten teeth. It comprises of clear, removable aligners that correct minor to moderate dental problems.
Pros of Invisalign
· Like the name suggests, Invisalign is a transparent and discreet treatment option
· The aligner can be removed for special occasions
· The end results are more or less the same as braces
· The retainer has to be removed for eating and drinking so it does not restrict your diet
· It is a less invasive treatment option in comparison to braces
· The aligner is hardly noticeable unless someone is in close proximity to you
· Invisalign fixes mild to moderate orthodontic problems
· You do not have to brush your teeth after every meal as you would with braces
· The orthodontic device is a fairly new practice in comparison to braces. This can be a downfall if you are someone who believes that ‘the original is the best.’
· The treatment is generally more expensive than braces
· The device has to be worn at least 22 hours a day and the outcome depends on you. If you do not wear your aligner then your treatment time and results will take longer
· The retainer can get lost
At the end of the day, braces and Invisalign are both trustable treatment options that generally provide desired results. The confidence of a beautiful smile should not be an option but your treatment can be. To find out what is best suited for you, book an appointment at our Berwick office today.